A month from now we’ll be taking our first trip back to Wisconsin since moving out to California. We’re visiting in August, so hopefully the weather won’t be too much of a shock. (It’ll be the weather during the winter holiday visit that we’ll have to watch out for.) We haven’t seen rain in months, so we’ll melt if it rains while we’re visiting. Darin actually mentioned just last night how much he’d love to have a thunderstorm. Me? I’m all good with the constant sun.
Some things we’re looking forward to on our visit back home:
- Seeing friends & family, obviously. We’ve timed our visit so that we can enjoy Miranda and Pete’s wedding reception before they sail around the world together. (God, they’re cool.) That will account for our Saturday evening, so we’ve got another few days to fill with a ton of other stuff. Stuff like:
- Breakfast at Lox, Stock’n Bagel with the family and the Press-Gazette crossword. I hope they have the scones I like that weekend!
- Drinks at Lorelei. I’m hoping Dave and/or Bart are working, because they make some killer beverages. Hell, Bart just nods and knows what I want. I hope they haven’t forgotten me!
- I want to go gaze upon and judge the size of the new Pro Shop expansion, which looks utterly ridiculous. Maybe I’ll score another hat, since my last disappeared at that ultra cold playoff game. Then again, what the heck am I going to do with a winter hat in CA? Maybe I’ll buy a tank top. Or another pair of awkward shorts with “PACKERS” emblazoned on the butt so everyone here can wonder what that’s about.
- Speaking of the Packers, we’ll be in town for the first pre-season game on Friday night. Maybe they’ll play it at the Lorelei and we can kill two birds with one stone. Too bad it’s an away game, or I’d want to go.
- Darin had mentioned wanted to grill out with his family, and I’d like to grill out with mine, too. That, or have some of my mom’s lasagna. It’s the best lasagna there is. Either way, having some home-cooked food would be awesome. We cook out here, but it’s not the same. It’s not infused with love.
- Old Fashioneds – we miss them. Bars out here don’t know what you’re talking about when you order one. Occasionally, they list them under specialty cocktails, but they’re mostly bad. We’ve only found one place out here has decent ones, and they’re $10 a pop. (My brother makes better ones anyway. I’d give him $10 for one right about now. Sheesh.)
- The lazy Wisconsin pace. Out here, there’s a gazillion people all trying to get from point A to point B on the same damn highway at any given moment, honking and being upset. Everyone is go, go, go. I seem to remember there being a bit less commotion in da Bay. Less to do and more time to do it in, because you don’t spend half your day in traffic. Sign me up.
I’m super excited to get back to Wisco and see everyone. We’re looking for someone to take care of our cats while we’re gone, but other than that our plans are all set! When we pack, we’ll have to check the forecast for the first time in months, so we know we’re bringing the right clothes along. I’ll probably even bring a jacket, because anything goes in Wisconsin!